Eco Council Archive 2016-2017
Student Eco Council
What is the Student’s Eco Council?
Children’s Eco Council is a group of children who meet each month to discuss eco friendly and environmental issues within school which prepares children to live their future lives with consideration for global issues. There is one eco councillor from each class in EYFS, Key Stage 1 and 2.
Why do we have an Eco Council?
-To ensure our school is eco-friendly and prepares children to live with reflection of the environment.
-To make sure each class has a platform to voice their opinions.
-To discuss and raise issues related to the environment.
How do I become an Eco Councillor?
At the beginning of each year, children can apply to become an Eco Councillor. EYFS and Key Stage 1 children complete an application form and teachers choose the successful applicants. Key Stage 2 children who want to apply to become an Eco Councillor, present themselves to the Key Stage 2 children with the reasons why they would make a good councillor. Children then vote for their favourite eco councillor.
What we do in meetings?
Each Eco Councillor meets with their class to discuss ideas about changes and improvements to the school. The issues are then raised in meetings and Eco Councillors discuss how to move forward with these ideas.
Eco Council Roles and Responsibilities
- Every Thursday at 10.25am- collect paper recycling bags from classrooms with Miss Carling. Eco Council will give the bags to Mrs Davidson to recycle
- Eco Councillors will collect recycle bags from Infant Hall and return to classrooms
- Eco Councillors have litter picking duties (on a rota)
- Meet monthly as a whole Eco Council
- Support Miss Carling and the Eco Club in Summer Term
- Grow and look after plants, vegetables and flowers in playground planters
- Assist in classrooms ensuring taps, lights, iPads and Interactive Whiteboards are turned off
- Create themed posters to raise awareness of initiatives in school
- Speak to pupils about requests and ideas to improve our school further
- Remind class teachers to complete the Travel Tracker daily
- Speak to pupils about requests and ideas to improve our school further in class assembly time
- Write up minutes from the Eco Council meetings
This page will be updated regularly with minutes from our Eco-Council meetings, as well as any exciting competitions, theme days, environmental reviews and our action plan. We currently hold the Eco-Schools Silver Award and are working towards the Green Flag Award. Please check this page regularly to find out more about up and coming events.